How to wear wide-leg cropped pants
I am only 5 feet zero and a quarter (minus the quarter), but I like to challenge a lot of difficult trends or styles that are usually bad news for a petite person. For example, the maxi dresses, or the midi skirts. There are a lot of people who think they are hard to pull off. And yes they are. But that is the fun part about fashion, daring to create something impossible. And today I am trying to pull off another hard one for a petite frame like mine, the wide-leg cropped pants.
My earliest memory about those fabulous pants were from my best friend. She is a tall, thin and beautiful Chinese girl who knows how to dress up and be the center of attention. 😉 Back then I was just an ugly duckling and I think she probably looked even better by comparison when I was standing next to her. But I was ok with it. She was my BFF and her mom and dad pretty much adopted me since my own family was a thousand miles away. I liked to think that she was the beauty and I was the brains. I had done pretty well in my life in Shanghai by working hard and using my mind. 😉 But I remember my friend and her mom walking together, both wearing those pants and they were just so fabulous. There were a lot of eyes on them.
Ok, let’s get back to how to wear wide-leg cropped pants if you’re not being offered a basketball scholarship. Why is this trend difficult for a petite person? Those pants end right at the widest part of your calf and they’re voluminous. Those are two things that can be bad news on a vertically challenged woman because it throws off our proportion. You may end up look dumpy and as wide as a bay window. 😉
But there are some tricks that can help us petite women pull off this tricky trend.
1. These kind of pants need to sit high on your waist , otherwise they can overwhelm your frame and look sloppy. So say good-bye to a low waistline!
2. Hems can vary, but the most flattering length is about an inch above the ankle. It is a universal rule for tall and short people.
3. Tuck in your tops. A roomy top over a roomy bottom can make you look really frumpy and, well, roomy. Roomy is great when you’re house hunting but just about the last word you want describing your date night outfit! The key is to highlight your middle by tucking in or semi-tucking in your top.
4. Show some of your skin to create a better illusion of your proportion. For example, wear a v neck bodysuit with it like I did. Or roll/push up the sleeves to not feel so stiff.
5. A cropped top(if you still have a flat tummy, then go for it) or a short/cropped jacket that meets at the waistband is also an excellent choice. It gives the clinch to create the right proportion and shape.
6. Wear heels. I tried flats, not bad but I do prefer heels. The higher the better. 😉
Below are a few more looks where I wore wide-leg cropped pants. Hopefully those looks and tricks can help you pull off your own. Good luck and don’t forget to share with us your new look!
Here are some wide leg cropped pants under $100 for you.
I am running a giveaway featuring $80 worth of products (Shaving Emulation lotion by HelloLegs/Bath Bomb Trinity by Jus D’Amour/Eden Body Works Coconut shea). This is only for residents of the USA. You just need to follow my IG, leave a comment below and retweet or repost. Please tag me when you do so. 🙂
|TODAY’S LINKUP PARTY:|
http://colorandgrace.com occasionally receives vendor/ brand sponsorships for mentioning their products and services.