Putting jewelry in your mouth always runs the risk of accidental swallowing, but it can be especially alarming when it comes to something like a tongue ring or barbell.

If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: You should immediately see a doctor if you swallow your tongue ring, as it could get stuck in your throat or damage your digestive system. Don’t panic, but do seek medical care promptly.

In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know if you’ve swallowed your tongue ring, from first steps to potential risks and treatment options. Read on to get the full details!

Act Quickly But Stay Calm

Accidentally swallowing a tongue ring can be a frightening experience, but it’s important to keep calm and take immediate action. Acting quickly can help prevent further complications and increase the chances of a successful outcome.

Here are some steps to follow if you find yourself in this situation.

See Your Doctor or Go To the ER

The first thing you should do if you have swallowed your tongue ring is to seek medical attention. It’s always best to consult with a healthcare professional who can assess the situation and provide appropriate guidance.

Depending on the circumstances, your doctor may recommend a visit to the emergency room or a specialist.

Website URL: Mayo Clinic

Swallowing a tongue ring can potentially cause complications such as choking, injury to the digestive tract, or infection. Therefore, it is crucial to let a medical expert evaluate your condition and determine the best course of action.

Don’t Panic or Try To Retrieve It Yourself

While it may be tempting to panic or attempt to retrieve the swallowed tongue ring yourself, it is strongly advised against. Trying to retrieve the object on your own can lead to further complications, such as pushing it further down the throat or causing damage to the surrounding tissues.

Website URL: Healthline

Instead, it is best to leave the extraction to a medical professional who has the necessary tools and expertise. They will be able to determine the safest and most effective method to remove the tongue ring without causing harm to your throat or digestive system.

Remember, swallowing a tongue ring can be a scary experience, but staying calm and seeking immediate medical attention is the key to ensuring your well-being. Trusting the expertise of healthcare professionals will help you navigate through this situation smoothly and safely.

What Happens When You Swallow A Tongue Ring

Swallowing a tongue ring can be a concerning experience, but understanding what happens next can help calm your nerves. When a tongue ring is accidentally swallowed, several potential scenarios can occur.

It Can Get Stuck In Your Throat or Esophagus

One possible outcome is that the tongue ring may get stuck in your throat or esophagus. This can be extremely uncomfortable and may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing. If you experience these symptoms, it’s crucial to seek immediate medical attention to prevent any further complications.

A healthcare professional will be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

Risk of Tears or Damage

Another concern when swallowing a tongue ring is the risk of tears or damage to the digestive tract. The sharp edges of the ring could potentially cause lacerations or puncture the walls of the esophagus, stomach, or intestines. These injuries can lead to severe pain, bleeding, and even infection.

It is essential to consult a medical professional to evaluate the situation and provide appropriate treatment.

Problems Along the Digestive Tract

Once the tongue ring passes through the throat and esophagus, it enters the digestive tract. In most cases, the ring will continue its journey without causing any significant issues. However, there is still a possibility of complications, such as the ring becoming lodged in the intestines or causing a blockage.

If you experience severe abdominal pain, vomiting, or difficulty passing stool after swallowing a tongue ring, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately.

Remember, swallowing a tongue ring is a serious matter that should not be taken lightly. It is always recommended to consult a healthcare professional to determine the best course of action based on your specific situation. Stay calm, and seek immediate medical attention to ensure your safety.

Diagnosis and Treatment Options

Physical Exam and Imaging Tests

If you have accidentally swallowed your tongue ring, the first step is to seek medical attention. A physical exam will be conducted by a healthcare professional to assess your condition. They may also recommend imaging tests such as an X-ray or CT scan to determine the exact location of the tongue ring and rule out any complications.


In some cases, an endoscopy may be performed to retrieve the swallowed tongue ring. During an endoscopy, a flexible tube with a camera attached to it is inserted through your mouth and down into your digestive tract.

This allows the healthcare professional to visualize the area and safely remove the tongue ring using specialized instruments.

Letting it Pass Naturally

If the swallowed tongue ring is small and there are no signs of complications, your healthcare provider may suggest a “wait and see” approach. They will monitor your symptoms and advise you to drink plenty of fluids and eat high-fiber foods to encourage the natural passage of the tongue ring through your digestive system.

It is important to note that this method is not suitable for everyone, and medical guidance should always be sought.


In rare cases where the tongue ring is causing severe symptoms or complications, surgery may be required. This is usually a last resort and will be determined by your healthcare provider based on your specific situation.

Surgery may involve making an incision in the gastrointestinal tract to remove the tongue ring or using a laparoscopic technique for a less invasive approach.

It is crucial to remember that each case is unique, and the appropriate treatment option will depend on factors such as the size and location of the swallowed tongue ring, as well as the presence of any symptoms or complications.

Always consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment plan.

Prevention Tips

While it may be an unusual situation, swallowing a tongue ring can happen. To avoid finding yourself in this predicament, here are some helpful prevention tips:

Avoid Playing with the Jewelry

One of the main causes of accidentally swallowing a tongue ring is fidgeting with it. It’s important to resist the temptation to play with your tongue ring, as this increases the risk of it coming loose and potentially being swallowed.

Remember, the tongue ring is not a toy, but a piece of jewelry that needs to be treated with care.

Monitor When Eating and Drinking

Another way to prevent swallowing a tongue ring is to be mindful of your actions while eating and drinking. Take extra caution when consuming food or beverages, especially those that require vigorous chewing or gulping. Avoid taking excessively large bites, and be sure to chew your food thoroughly.

Additionally, it is advisable to remove your tongue ring before eating to eliminate any chance of it accidentally being swallowed.

Consider Using Plastic Retainers

If you frequently engage in activities that increase the risk of swallowing a tongue ring, such as sports or playing musical instruments, consider using plastic retainers instead of metal jewelry. Plastic retainers are less prone to coming loose or causing damage if accidentally swallowed.

Additionally, plastic retainers can be more comfortable and less noticeable, making them a popular choice among those who want to maintain their piercing while reducing the risk of mishaps.

By following these prevention tips, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of swallowing a tongue ring. Remember, prevention is always better than finding yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Stay safe and enjoy your tongue piercing responsibly!


While swallowing your tongue ring can be alarming, try to stay calm and promptly seek medical care. In most cases, the ring can be safely removed or allowed to pass through the digestive system without complications under a doctor’s supervision.

Be especially vigilant about playing with the jewelry or taking it out around food and drink. With proper care, you can continue to enjoy your tongue piercing safely.

Similar Posts